Y’all. Oh my goodness. These delectable things are the best little sandwiches ever. My lovely better half and I have a thing I like to call “he picks it and I make it” when it comes to food he sees online. He is much more of a foodie than I am when it comes to trying new things, but I love that he sees potential in things I probably wouldn’t otherwise try. There have been a lot of success stories among a few duds, so for the most part the things he picks out for me to make end up turning out well. This particular recipe turned out so well that I wanted to put it out there for y’all to hopefully make and enjoy yourselves! This recipe is based solely on the idea he saw online, and is entirely mine. I usually make the full dish with pasta and sides, so I thought surely it would be easy to scale down to make sliders. I’m so glad I was right!
I started with six chicken tenders that I cut into three inch pieces. I pounded the chunks between pieces of parchment paper until they were very thin, but not falling apart. I double-breaded them, then browned them in a skillet lightly coated in non-stick spray until they were just cooked through before layering them on the rolls. This recipe has several ingredients/steps, but I promise you, it is super quick and easy! I only had enough chicken to do 10 sliders, so that’s why two are missing. I’ll do better next time, I promise!
Preheat oven to 425°
- 5-6 chicken tenders (depends on size), cut into 3″ chunks and pounded thin. You will need 12 total pieces to make full recipe.
- 12 pack of slider buns/rolls of your choice
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (I used finely shredded for quicker melting)
- 1/4-1/2 cup marinara sauce (it’s all personal preference here!)
- 1/2 cup flour of choice (I used unbleached self-rising)
- 1 cup either plain or Italian seasoned Panko breadcrumbs (I used plain)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder, divided
- 1 tablespoon of seasoned salt, divided
- egg wash (one egg and 1/4 cup milk or water whisked together)
- Italian seasoned garlic butter to brush on top (2 Tbsp. butter, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. Italian seasoning)
I use two medium sized bowls for the dry ingredients and one small bowl for the egg wash. Pour flour, 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, and 1/2 tablespoon of seasoned salt into one of the medium bowls. Pour the Panko breadcrumbs, the parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, and 1/2 tablespoon of seasoned salt in the other medium bowl. Mix both thoroughly. Take the pounded chicken pieces one at a time and dip into the egg wash, then the flour mixture, then the egg wash again, and then the breadcrumb mixture. Place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet until you’re ready to cook. At this point you can either bake them on the parchment paper at 400° for 12 minutes, or put them in a skillet on the stovetop. I chose the skillet, but as long as they’re cooked that’s all that matters!Once all the chicken is cooked through, slice the slider buns and place the bottom halves in a baking dish. Arrange the pieces of chicken on the rolls in the dish and coat with 1/4-1/2 cup of marinara sauce of your choice. Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly on top of the marinara sauce, and replace the top portion of the buns. Brush seasoned garlic butter on the tops, and place into oven until butter is melted and they’re lightly browned, about five minutes. Serve with a salad for a complete meal! This serves 4 adults easily, or in my case two adults and two children with leftovers. Reheat leftovers in a covered dish in the oven at 350° for about 15 minutes.